Monday, March 29, 2010

USA Trip - Alaska Ice Festival





Even though I spent one week in Arizona before my Alaska visit, I wanted to start with this post about the 'Ice Art Festival'. When I was little we would go all the time, cuz it was FREE! Then they moved it from the old location and started charging for it. Me being the cheap-o I am, I just never went, well, step in my dad with an offer of taking me and here I am again, like when I was little enjoying the beauties of sculptured ice!





Here is my dad 'warming' his hands by the campfire next to a little ice hut...















Inside the hut a picture of Sarah Palin - UGH! :(















I've just always loved crystal, glass and ice does a good job of it as well - it's like 'suspended animaton' as they say....



Hello fishies!








They had a maze you could go through...


















I thought this was cool beyond belief! Is it possible to make fire with ice?









There's the proof! This guy built a prism out of ice and then set up this wooden board in the back. Look at the burn marks...I put my hand there and it was just warm....







Beautiful detail! There were so many artists from all over the world, i.e. Mongolia!









VERY Alaskan and VERY cool with the sunlight coming in behind it!










Cool fish!
















Being as how I was just in Arizona this 'desert scene' made me laugh....oh the irony.....













There's Pharaoah chasing the Israelites and Moses with the 10 Commandments - very dramatic indeed!













'Ommm...' as Ganesh would say....










I didn't understand why there were so many kids there with sleds. I saw some parents dragging their kids along in the sleds looking at the ice sculptures, but then....


HOW FUN IS THAT?! Can I be a kid again?




They had an empty stage made out of ice and a mic....I had to take advantage of the opportunity to entertain ;)









My dad behind a Carhart 'ice' shirt...















'I WANT MY 2 DOLLARS!!' ;)











What a hand! This was one of the 'junior', i.e. kids', entries....I thought this one was REALLY good!














This 'phoenix' bird was my favorite out of them all....












'Fly like an eagle to the sea...'


So there you go everybody. I hope you enjoyed a look at the Alaskan Ice Festival and beautiful creations that artists from all around the world made....