Monday, December 7, 2009

London School Trip #2




So whenever I go to London I have a ´to do´list and it is funny because there always seems some óther´thing to do, and one of the things I wanted to do was visit John Wesley´s chapel where he preached and...you could say is a ´home´of the Methodist movement and church.



Apparently at first John Wesley preached in an old Foundry down the road, but this chapel and his house were later built in this place.



I think I was also interested to learn more because out of all the religions Joseph Smith could´ve joined, he liked the Methodists the most...










There he be, John Wesley! John Wesley was born in 1703 in Epworth, 23 miles (37 km) northwest of Lincoln, England. Wesley is largely credited, along with his brother Charles Wesley, with founding the Methodist movement which began when he took to open-air preaching in a similar manner to George Whitefield. Methodism was a highly successful evangelical movement in the United Kingdom, which encouraged people to experience Jesus Christ personally.



He attended a Moravian meeting and reported after hearing the message that his heart was ´strangely warmed´. And that was ´the´experience....



Sounds familiar to me :)






This is Wesley´s chapel. The chapel was opened in 1778 to replace John Wesley's earlier London chapel, The Foundery. In 1776 John Wesley applied to the City of London for a site to build his new chapel and was granted an area of land on City Road, London. After raising considerable funds the foundation stone for the new chapel was laid on 21 April 1777. The architect of his new chapel was George Dance the Younger, surveyor to the City of London. It was built by Samuel Tooth who was a member of the Foundery Chapel. The opening service was on All Saints' Day, 1778.




Inside....





















This was HIS pulpit (even though the guide said that in Wesley´s day it was much taller)....



































Now we are in Wesley´s adjacent house. This was his study and that is HIS study chair (you can sit in it forwards or facing the other way - and then you have a place to sit the book. I honestly liked that...having had to read quite a bit myself, that makes so much sense!)


That is a painting of him over the fireplace....













I´ll let you read the other picture...this was for exercise! The lady showed us how it moves up and down...you just bounce, bounce, bounce....hmm....






















This was Wesley´s électrical´machine. He used it to help treat people that were suffering from disease or problems....he reported success! (It makes me think to Á Beautiful Mind´where they electricute Nash to try to treat his schizophrenia-illusions)















He got up very early every morning and this was his study room where he would kneel, pray and study the Bible....















This was his pulpit from his first church (an old foundry)....




















I loved this picture of Jesus! Would you ever guess what it is supposed to show?......


This is when Jesus looks at Peter after the cock crowed....


Ánd Peter remembered...´


UGH!


but still a beautiful picture....









This is where John Wesley is now....


During WWII London the city was horribly destroyed by the Blitz (the CITY of London is different from what we all call ´London´, ex: Big Ben is in the CITY of Westminster NOT in the CITY of London (but the area of Greater London)....anyways....


I say all that to explain all the modern buildings around his grave and really the whole area....the CITY of London is pretty much full of banks, banks and did I mention banks?!








This is ´Bunhill Fields´cemetery which is where John Wesley´s mother is buried. When it was closed to more burials in 1855 it had over 120,000 people buried there! You´d never believe it...it is MAYBE the size of an American football field...maybe....








One of the next places to visit was one of Wren´s churches. If you hit this you can read it...I find it interesting that religions (such as Cortez with Aztec temples, or Ferdinand and Isabella in Malaga with an the Arabic town´s mosque) build on top of one another, not just in concepts or principles, but also LITERALLY! Read the part about how there used to be a Roman temple of Mithras on this site. Craziness....


Let us go inside...











I love the cupola or domes of the churches....purdy....



















Usually rich people put tablets in churches of their deceased ancestors, families, etc. I show this tablet just to make sure we all realize that the Marriott´s were ALWAYS rich...they´re probably Illuminati.....just kidding....I hope :)














The old altar......













And here you can see how much has been ´restored´and refinished....the bombing of WWII truly obliterated the old CITY of London....

















Love it....



















So this building is right by the ´Bank´station of the London subway system. I always assumed that THIS building was THE Bank of England building....


IGNORAMUS am I....


This is the Royal Exchange....





That is now just a collection of SUPER RICHY stores, i.e. De Beers, etc.


I took this photo and then was ´robotically´asked by an Eastern European-sounding security guard not to take any more photos. Ók´I said.... :)















You can read the ´history´ here of the Royal Exchange....it reminds me of the Royal Exchange in Dublin....hmm.....

















THERE is the stupid Bank of England! Seriously, I am SO stupid! Right to (our) left of the Royal Exchange is the Bank of England.


I still remember how STUNNED I was when I read a while ago that THE BANK OF ENGLAND is actually a privately-owned entity! WHAT?! You mean it doesn´t belong to the govt?! You mean a PRIVATE entity is in charge of printing a country´s money without gov´t control?!


Oh wait...that´s what the Federal Reserve is too! It still amazes me that these guys get away with it! But that is the Illuminati for ya.....hmm.....







Loverly Christmas decorations.....


















I will let you read the following pic about this church. Such an interesting building though, eh? Especially for 1805!

























And then I ended the day with a trip to the Palladium for ´Sister Act´!


I don´t watch much so I am a bit ´sensitive´to cussing and sexual innuendo, so that might bias my reviews of a lot of shows, but I definitely liked the movie better! The lady who played ´Sister Mary Clarence´is talented and did a good job though....




Ít´s beginning to look a lot like....´


You know of course all of this is ´BUY! BUY! BUY! come into our store and BUY!´ and lots of people say it´s so commerical and and and, but in the end, I like it. I like the lights...they make the world nicer me thinks....