Monday, December 7, 2009

London School Trip #3




So I spent the day at my university for a workshop and to have a meeting with my professor. SHE LIKED WHAT I WROTE! (my chapter for my dissertation) So that made it for a more relaxing day....but honestly, she is SO nice and accepting....she is very kind and I am blessed to have her as my supervisor (just in case you think I am trying to ingratiate myself, the answer would be no - my professor doesn´t have my blog address....so....these are truly my feelings about her...kind, caring, brainy-ack and accepting)....


To end the day it calls for another theatre trip, but this time I am excited because I have never been inside ´the Coliseum´!


The Coliseum Theatre is on St. Martin's Lane, in the City of Westminster. It is one of London's largest and best equipped theatres and opened in 1904. The plan was to build the largest and finest 'People's palace of entertainment' of its age. It has been the home of the English National Opera since 1974.


It is quite ´wow´inside as you´ll see soon....










WOW! SPQR and the like....we went crazy with the Roman theme that is for sure....


This theatre is quite impressive and I like it.


I came to watch an actual ´performance´, i.e. people moving, dancing, etc. to Handel´s ´Messiah´. I admit I was lost at times as to what things were, etc., but I thought overall it was fantastic! Very loosely-speaking, they told a story by using ´Messiah´, which largely follows the Scriptures. So when they talk about ´he was acquainted with grief´they show a dancer (not with a crown of thorns, just...rather normal looking guy) that everyone turns away from in disdain and then he wallows in grief on the floor, etc. Maybe it sounds not so great, but I thought it was FANTASTIC! Especially compared to sitting through hours of ´the original´where it´s just singers who stand there and sing....so much more moving and personal to ´see´people....totally made the scriptures they were quoting come to life in a modern-mundane way. I recommend it!




Senatus Popolus Que Romanus....´what are you doing in England?!´ Óh mind your own business!´ (Monty Python quotes)












Love the regal red....














Don´t look, it´s a long way down!


















And right after this photo I was asked not to take any pictures :( I said Í know no pictures DURING the performance, but BEFORE?´ Í´m afraid so, sir.´ Ok, ok....when in Rome... :)










We are now in Leicester Square again. I had never seen this before! I guess they´re trying to do a ´Christmas market´kind of a deal...


This is a statue of Shakespeare in the middle of the square. I just think it´s funny how he´s just ´hmm, hmm´all the while being surrounded by Christmas lights, rides and screaming people....odd and entertaining...











´Something Wicked This Way Comes´totally made carousels a bit creepy, didn´t it?











It is now the next day and I am about to watch the animated film Á Christmas Carol´in the Empire cinema on Leicester Square. I was quite excited seeing as how I hadn´t been inside this theater before....now I can see why they have sevearl of their ´Hollywood´premieres in this theater! So cool, no?












Ouis, tres cool...











This is a random photo I wanted to throw in there. Most of my clothes are in Vienna, so I decided to buy two more UK t-shirts in Covent Garden. This is what part of Covent Garden looks like at Christmas. I liked it.