Thursday, April 22, 2010

Back in Vienna!



If one were to peruse my blog, one might come to the perusing bloggish conclusion that I, despite the name of this blog, have NOTHING to do with Vienna! Oh contraire mon frere....


This is the house in which I live! I think of it as a blessing....instead of being with just students, I live with a family, two dogs, two cats and lots of 'normal' family experiences that I think help ground me, if that makes sense...
Here we are having a 'normal family' moment, i.e. Alexander (the oldest boy)'s birthday! For his 'cake' he wanted 'TRIPLE Chocolate American Brownies'. Verena, the momma in red, made it for him and I think I was the only one that liked it, LOL! (If you weren't aware, Americans LOVE sugar in everything and the rest of the world doesn't have the 'sweet tooth' we do :)
Here is Alexander with his TRIPLE Chocolate American brownies, LOL....we'll see what he thinks...



But all is ok, cuz in the end what do kids love the most? TOYS! He's excited about his new LEGO set...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALEXANDER!



Here is the backyard...like 50 years ago, all this was was a 'dacha' type summer garden house, but now it's the backyard. I gotta say it's does look good and now that spring is here, it's looking even better....







Spring "is in the air...I can feel it all around..." ;)







I think this young tree is just beautiful....













Just stare at this photo for a while....is the 'dark' stuff on the ground? On the side of a building? Where? I really liked this when I saw it....








This is a plant that I'm not used to, coming from Alaska as I do...
In German it's a Magnolien tree...I'll let you figure out the rest ;)





Preh-ee, ain't she?









All the petals in the air....apparently though it's so quickly over with. The mom of the family I live with told me that it's only for 2 weeks a year that these trees in Vienna look pretty...the rest of the year there isn't much to them....



So the dad of the family I live with was in the Vienna Marathon. So I decided to head off to Church early and wait along the route to see if I could see him....

(The looks of pain on the runners' faces just confirmed to me inwardly that they are all crazy! AND to top it off, they have to actually pay to be in it!! WHAT?! I think paying to have the chance to suffer is odd behavior, if you ask me...)


But nevertheless, I was also impressed with their level of fortitude and the training they had all put in!


There is the dad of the family I live with in the middle, #3517! Go Andreas! :)


And after Andreas passed by, I literally walked 3 minutes to my Church....


So, just to repeat the purpose of this post: I DO live in Vienna! :)


So stay tuned for lots of Viennese and Austrian adventures heading your way...