Monday, April 26, 2010

Die Volksoper - the PEOPLE's Opera!!




So just so everyone's aware, I am about to go hawg-wild on some musical experiences, so to begin let us go to the opera, the People's Opera that is!



We shall see two operas whilst there: Carmen and Tosca....







The world-famous 'Carmen' by Bizet. Written in French in 1875, Bizet died before he ever saw it a success - how sad! Anyway, I was REALLY surprised by how MUCH of the music from 'Carmen' I had already heard in a variety of films and settings.


The woman who played Carmen I thought did a REALLY good job and showing her as being a total brash, partially insane, not knowing what she wants - woman. In my totally untrained opinion I think Carmen was abused when she was little - she has all the signs of 'out of control', 'acting out' for no apparent reason - signs of abuse...poor Carmen...


This was my view and my seat during the operette. Oh yes, I went and watched an operette which apparently differs from an opera in length and 'seriousness' of the subject - an operette is 'comical'. (SPOILER ALERT) I don't think Carmen's ex-love stabbing her with a knife is particularly 'funny'...in the end, I can't really think of any part of it that was 'comical'...oh well....maybe 'back in the day' it was funny....in a very depressed way ;)




So au revoir mon amis, Bizet! Maybe some day we will meet again at the Volksoper - until that day, adieu....to yer and yer and yer....






Oh, hello! again....


This time we're going to see Puccini's 'Tosca', again, at the Volksoper. In 1898 the opera house was finished and guess where the Viennese debut of 'Tosca' was?! That's right, at the Volksoper...


Entre, parlez vous francais?







Tosca was written by Puccini (and the help of others) in 1900 and had its debut in Rome. It takes place in Rome and Tosca is the woman lead who is a singer. It was interesting to watch 'Tosca' and 'Carmen' in the Volksoper, cuz they translated it into German, LOL! It just seems odd...but in the end, it was good, cuz I could semi-understand what was going on...



'Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee...'


The bad guy actually did that in the opera...just thought it was weird and funny....


OK guys, gotta say it, compared to 'Carmen' this one was BORING! The best thing about it was that they had a good orchestra and so the music was played VERY WELL, but even then, I would put the score/music at 'less than spectacular' - there were almost no 'memorable' songs, etc. And I find this odd cuz it's such a popular piece in the States apparently....I wasn't impressed....BUT, the guy that plays the 'good guy', Cavaradossi, is REALLY good! His voice is REALLY strong, but not overpowering like the guy who played Angelotti...."so there you have it"



This was where I sat...there must've been the Austrian equivalent to 'Prom' cuz there were TON o' young teenagers in these seats next to me who (not all, but they all 'seemed to take turns') talked during 3/4 of the first acts, SO...I MOVED! I asked the guy if I could and told him why and he said 'well, it's not allowed to change seats, but...' and I said, 'well I'm just going to do that, ok?'


What a nice theater! It isn't the nicest I've been in, but I liked the chairs (some of the old theaters in London have mini-Me seating - not very much leg room!) and overall I think the Volksoper is a nice theater....






(SPOILER WARNING) Here I am in the earlier post talking about how bad it is to kill handicapped children, but at this moment in the opera when Tosca kills Baron Scarpia with a knife, I was actually QUITE HAPPY with her! WHAT UP?! Oh well...you'll have to read the plot and then maybe that will all make sense....WAY TO GO, TOSCA! I am VERY impressed with you! Take matters into your own hands, LITERALLY haha, instead of being the 'timid woman' letting everything happen to you! (Acting instead of being acted upon :)


Well, while I can't recommend 'Tosca' to anyone, I still was glad I saw it and I am glad to have experienced the Volksoper. Here is a quick look at the foyer....


As I said, I hope you're all ready, cuz some MASSIVE amount of musical shows is about to be blogged :)



GUTE NACHT, Herr Volksoper!


Danke schoen....