Thursday, April 22, 2010

Concert in Church am Steinhof




Why...what is this?








Where are we going?


I can kind of make it out....but I'm still not sure....


Ahh, it's a church! This is called Church am Steinhof. I'm not going to say too much about it right, cuz I'm going to explain it in further posts.
Just know that tonight's event will be a concert...or as the say in German, a konzert! :)

This church is truly one of the 'coolest' things I've ever seen! It's over 100 years old and looks like it belongs in 'Stargate'! Egyptian-revival here we come....
The root as the cross surrounded by the 'Four Evangelists', but in a so ultra-modern Egyptian style...


Here is the stained-glass window I was sitting by. It is the 'blessed are'....and then at the top it says 'if ye have done it unto the least of these thy brethren, ye have done it unto me. (Steinhof is/was a HUGE hospital complex, hence why the church is the way it is, etc.)




From my seat there are the east-facing stained-glass windows...







The main altar - again, AMAZING! It's like William Blake's 'God' or some of the 'El Greco' paintings...some things just amaze me cuz of how FAR AHEAD of their times they were....this church is one of them...truly extra-terrestrial if you ask me!



The...I almost wrote Rameumptom! But that is rude....sorry...






Here is a bit of what we'll be experiencing tonight - GREGORIAN CHANTS! I wonder if anyone else reading this is as excited as I am, LOL!
Anyway, I dig Gregorian chants and tonight's concert is....FREE! So even better!
There is the Latin text for you all and then the German underneath it for me, LOL....
So get to translating!



One of the hosts introducing the choir from St. Ursula (choir school I guess - I am a bit confused on that one). I am assuming the school is in Vienna...



And for your listening pleasure, PRESS PLAY!!


Afterwards I ran around and snapped photos - usually the Church is closed. Can you believe this altar? Like I said...it's so 'other-worldly'! Truly amazing...









Look at the angels....what a style! How creative! In German the whole church was built in what is known as Jugendstil architectural style - you can Google it to know more about it.






This plaque and another let's us know that Franz Ferdinand (NO, not the singing group! :) was here along with Franz Joseph I, Emperor of Austria-King of Hungary, etc., etc. and so forth.....
I thought the Madonna was pretty...very simple, but then very...wow!






Here are the east-facing windows from the outside...I think I still need to get used to my camera...holding still for night shots isn't working well....




Here are the west-facing windows that I sat at. Again, I just liked the messages are 'blessed are those who clothed the naked' and 'blessed are those who fed the hungry', etc...




And there you are! I hope you enjoyed a bit of the Gregorian chants, I know I did....
Gute Nacht, Church am Steinhof and Gute Nacht to all of you in Blogland....