
So seeing as how my boat ride got cancelled cuz of the overflowing Danube, I went to the train station and got a ticket.
Ok, set....now off to the Budapest City Park!
In the background you can see the 'National Hungarian Museum'. I guess the difference between this one and the one I saw earlier is that this deals more with the Hungarian people? Not sure...

The statue of Anonymus, a chronicler in the XII century (probably of King Béla III). He wrote the first history books on the ancient Hungarians, mostly based on legends. Superstition says that by touching his pen you will receive good luck. (I was told if you touched his pen you'd become a good writer, substantiated by Hungarian who took this picture, so....I did it so I can write my dissertation! :)

This is Jak Church.....all of these buildings were built around 1900 as a display of Hungarian architecture.

This isVajdahunyad Castle, or Vajdahunyad-vár,and is a castle in City Park, Budapest, Hungary, that was built between 1896 and 1908, designed by Ignác Alpár. It is a copy in part of a castle in Transylvania, Romania, that is also called Vajdahunyad, though it is also a display of different architectural styles: Romanic, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque. (Until 1920 most of Transylvania was part of Hungary.)
Originally it was made from cardboard and wood for the millennial exhibition in 1896 but it became so popular that it was rebuilt from stone and brick.
Today it houses the Agricultural Museum.

In 1920 the modern state (kingdom) of Hungary was established. So this is everyone getting ready...it's a 'sad' and 'happy' day for Hungarians - they became their own countries (after trying for centuries to wiggle free of the Austrians) BUT they also lost massive parts of what they considered to be Hungary, i.e. Transylvania.

Here are the Szechenyi Baths. Since Roman times people have 'bathed' in Budapest, but the Turks (who controlled the area for 150 years) really brought the 'culture' of baths to Budapest.
These baths were built in 1913 and I was recommended by several people to go (one said 'it's like you went swimming in a palace!' Well, I'm up for that! :)
Now these next photos I stole from the Internetz. I didn't bring my camera with me....
See that 'circular' thing on the right-hand side, that is a 'whirlpool' that everyone...just gets moved by the water around and around....I think people were confused cuz here I was, an old, bearded man, and I was whirling around and laughing like all the kids!
It was really nice when the 'sunset' hit...all that yellow just 'glowed' and then rippled on the water (reflecting)....so beautiful....
2 of the pools are 'warm' and then one is cool...

This is TRUE! I got this from the Internetz, but I saw this...one two sides there are these old guys that just stand there all day long and play chess with each other! So funny...

Then they had 'inside' pools...some were cool, most warm, some had a 'whirl' movement to them...additionally there were steam rooms, etc. Loved it all! So relaxing....

Ok, now this is a photo I took. I came to the baths around 2pm and stayed till 9pm! I loved it! Loved it so much that I didn't eat all that time!
So warm, so relaxing....I love you Szechenyi baths!!

After the baths I walked back to my motel, but first had to pass 'Heroes' Square'....At the front of the monument is a large stone cenotaph surrounded by an ornamental iron chain. The cenotaph is dedicated "To the memory of the heroes who gave their lives for the freedom of our people and our national independence." While some guide books refer to this as a "tomb" it is not a burial place. Directly behind the cenotaph is a column topped by a statue of the archangel Gabriel. In his right hand the angel holds the Holy Crown of St. Stephen (Istvan), the first king of Hungary. In his left hand the angel holds a two barred apostolic cross, a symbol awarded to St. Stephen by the Pope in recognition of his efforts to convert Hungary to Christianity. In Hungarian it is referred to as the double cross or the apostolic double cross.
At the base of the column is a group of seven mounted figures representing the Magyar chieftains who led the Hungarian people into the Carpathian basin. In the front is Árpád, considered the founder of the Hungarian nation. Behind him are the chieftains Előd, Ond, Kond, Tas, Huba, and Töhötöm (Tétény). Little survives in the historical record about these individuals and both their costumes and their horses are considered to be more fanciful than historically accurate.
The back of the monument consists of two matched colonnades, each with seven statues representing great figures of Hungarian history. Topping the outer edge of the left colonnade is a statue of a man with a scythe and a woman sowing seed representing Labor and Wealth. In the corresponding position on the right colonnade is a statue of a man holding a statue and a woman with a palm frond representing Knowledge and Glory. At the inner top edge of the left colonnade is a male figure driving a chariot using a snake as a whip representing War, while on the facing end of the right colonnade is a female figure in a chariot holding a palm frond representing Peace.

Looking back at Vajdahunyad Castle (the area below, all dark, is used as an ice skating rink in winter)...
Just liked this photo....

I liked this one too....

And there you have a 'side'/front view....I regret not getting there earlier....with all the preparations for their national holiday the Hungarians 'closed' Heroes' Square off :(
Budapest just really has everything! I am SO, SO impressed with it!
Walking down the world-famous Andrassy Avenue, there is this 'sculpture'. It's entitled 'Iron Curtain'...I liked it....

OH BUDAPEST! I must leave you on the morn....alas, alas for us....I enjoyed your wonders so thoroughly and was pleasantly surprised by everything you have to offer!
Thanks for being kind and keep on shining!





