Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Schoenbrunn Palace Sommer Concert


So I was really looking forward to this! A FREE concert at Schoenbrunn Palace WITH....the Viennese Philharmonic!!




Could it get any better?


There is the Hapsburg palace....let's follow the crowd, shall we?









Here are the gardens behind with the Gloriette up on its hill. Notice the stage, crowds, etc...














I was ignorant to think that they would have chairs for us...which they did, you only had to show up 2 hours earlier than I did (and I was a little over an hour early for the concert) :(










I admit just standing there for an hour as the crowd got bigger and bigger, I was tempted to leave or at least go to the back and find some place to sit.....
















But little by little I kept on looking at people's watches and then finally - LIGHTS! The Philharmonic came out onto the stage and played....










Yes, Star Wars! Star What?! I wanted to hear 'the classics', Strauss, etc. But the theme for the night was 'planets, stars' etc. Hmm...Oh well...they sound good and there you go, 'Star Wars'! LOL...





They brought out Yefim Bronfman to play two Liszt piano concertos. Everyone started clapping, so I turned to the music students beside me and asked 'is that someone famous?' 'OH YES! VERY famous!' Haha...I be the ignorant American still :)





After he finished they decided to bring us back to 'outer space' with...


I just find it funny...and weird...but oh well...



As the evening draws on, they played on and on...seriously, who chose this year's program?! UGH!




But still cool to be there and experience it all. I said to one of the music students beside me 'I'm spending the whole time looking at the big TV screens...I'm asking myself, why did I come?!' He laughed...






The crowds watch and listen....




And then FINALLY for the end they played one of my favorites....








Wiener Blut by Strauss! LOVE IT! And we clapped and then everyone dispersed....




Then I...these photos...I JUST LOVE THEM! WOW! HOW COOL! The lights from the back, all lighting up the palace like that....










Thank you Schoenbrunn Palace for a loverly evening!










Thank you Wiener Philharmoniker for sharing your talents with all of us!



Gute Nacht you beautiful night you....