Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cambridge Trip


So continuing the 'English' adventure I headed off to Cambridge to meet my friend Maria.



Here is one of the colleges at Cambridge. Cambridge was founded by a bunch of 'renegade' professors who left Oxford and established a university on the Cam river....and the rest, is history....




There she is - hi Maria!


















Walking around the town....Cambridge was very interesting cuz it looked like a 'Gothic' castle-fest! Everything was quite the historical point....



This is the oldest building in Cambridge. Only built around 1100, that's all! LOL...















Here we are on kind of the 'main drag' if you want to call it that....



Here is the world-famous King's College in the background....







A street in front of the college I applied to at Cambridge and WHO REJECTED ME!!



Oh well.... :)









So we decided that we couldn't go to Cambridge and not visit the famous King's College chapel....








Entrez, parle vous francais? (I don't by the way....)










zee door....








and the stained glass begins....


BEAUTIFUL!!









BEAUTIFUL!!!










So according to Wikipedia King's College was founded by Henry 8th....BUT...when we went there it said that it was truly founded by an early king, Henry the 8th just....made it quite the place back in the day....hmm....












So impressive....











The ceiling...it reminded me of drawings of Egyptian papyrus columns from ancient Egypt...















more more more....











Looking towards the altar....









I'll truly recommend this to travellers - just peek back every now and then...it amazes me what looking forward and walking towards something can look like, but then every once in a while just look back - you'll be amazed at the other perspective!






Bella....
















Courtyard of King's College chapel....yeah, there is 'that guy' again ;)










King's College Chapel...










The 'Backs' (backs of all the old, loverly colleges)...this is the back of King's College....quite impressive, no?








Apparently a source of income for local students is to take visitors on a punting trip down the Cam river....looks quite chaotic, eh? hahaha...









The punting boats....











This is the Round Church, only the 2nd oldest building in Cambridge built in 1130....seriously....as an American it's so hard to fathom these 'dates' at times....







So one of the reasons I went to Cambridge was that my friend, Erica Fulbrook was getting married. She and her fiancee got married in their college's chapel, Churchill College....


Here it is....gotta say....1960's British architecture....umm...yeah.....



Inside....seemed more like...dare I say it? A crypt....


But I enjoyed the ceremony. My professor is Erica's mom and so I got a text 2 hours before the wedding asking me to videograph (I know, no word exists, but whatever) the ceremony. EEK! I told her I couldn't promise Hollywood, but I would try my best....


My professor said it turned out great and that they enjoyed having it! WHOO!




There is the lovely couple! Congrats John and Erica!


(John said some of the sweetest things about Erica I've ever heard at a wedding...I'm so happy for them, they truly love each other...)









Cricket going on during the wedding...all things English! ;)


So now it was time to head up north to Newcastle. My friend Maria wanted to show me around where she's from....


So rush off to the train station and just in time, we thankfully got our train....