Friday, October 9, 2009

Vienna Tour, continued...



so continuing our tour of Vienna (on another day however), here is the Soviet War memorial. It was built in Aug 1945 (I think it's interesting that while Germans and Austrians didn't have food, the Soviets insisted on building these memorials in Berlin and Vienna) and says 'Memorial to the glory of the Soviet soldiers who fell to free Austria from fascism!' (A friend of mine says that that is one of Austria's biggest problems - it has always seen itself as a 'victim' of German Nazi aggression. The Allies declared the first victim of Nazi aggression was Austria (being annexed in 1938). The Austrians seem to forget that Hitler was an Austrian and had a number of very enthusiastic supporters in Austria....hmm.....


With the fountain in front...impressive...









When I was first in Vienna I thought this was the prettiest embassy that I saw - it's the French! Especially in the sun it is just so mansion-chateauee.








and then just imagine these 'relief'/protruding statues glittering in the sun...belle me thinks...








Here is the Volksgarten (People's Garden) across from the Parliament building, with the Natural History museum in the background....







Opposite view in the Volksgarten, but this time looking towards the Burgtheater (Imperial Court theater)....








Fountain in the Volksgarten....purdy....









I remember first coming to Vienna and being SO impressed with the City Hall built in 1883. Very cool-looking...

And the circus was in town and set up shop right in front of it LOL!





Across from the Rathaus (City hall) is the Burgtheater (Court Theater). It is one of the most important theaters in the German-speaking world. Being completed in 1741, it saw the debut of 3 of Mozart's operas, including 'Le Nozze di Figaro' and 'Cosi fan tutte'.





Then I enjoyed my first Apple Streudel with cream and ice cream in this Viennese open-air cafe. Stupendous! I've been careful about what I say....some things, food-wise, are better in Berlin, BUT....the apple streudel, OH YUMMY it twas, yummy it twas....

And what a great way to end a day of seeing the sights in Vienna!