Friday, October 9, 2009

Vienna by Night...


So, our 'night' tour will be mostly our 'day' tour...but in darkness LOL!

Here we are starting at Stephansdom (Stephan's Cathedral).








The prayer candles inside - I love this...it's so beautiful...












St. Stephan's is known for its tiled roof...you can see it probably better in the 'day' photos...












Once again 'the Graben'/Trench shopping pedestrian district...











This is on the H&M store. I just find it hilarious the way English really IS the world-language. We're in Austria and the opening times are listed in English! ?????














Here is the 'Michael Wing' of the Hofburg (Imperial Court)...




And right there in front are the uncovered ruins of centuries of Viennese history - Roman ruins, Germanic, etc.




This is the 'Votivkirche'. Emperor Franz Joseph was walking on this spot one day when an Hungarian nationalist attacked him with a knife. The Emperor was saved (the Hungarian later executed) and afterwards his brother called for the building of a church on the site as a 'votive offering' for the saving of the Emperor's life.


Construction began in 1856 and finished in 1879!










Here is the University of Vienna. I'll be using their library to finish my dissertation...







Here is the Hofburg Theater again...with the moon in the background...










And the Rathaus! Lookin' good...











The Austrian Parliament building...











The Neue Burg (part of the Imperial Court complex, but always intended to be a library - the National Library is here)!!!



THIS IS MY FAVE! Look at it! SO impressive!





The entrance to the Neue Burg....











Looking towards the Neue Burg from the Natural History museum....this picture to me looks like a painting - love it!









The Art History museum....











The Empress looking down on her people....









and the Natural History museum...












The State Opera house...











Down the main shopping street you can see the tippy-top of Stephansdom...










Here we have the Karlskirche again. I like how my camera takes pictures of things I don't actually see (the night view of the church did NOT look like this to my eyes - not so much blue in the sky, but nice...)






I decided to go to Mass in Karlskirche. When I was here in 2004 the whole place was 'draped', i.e. it was being restored....looks wunderbar now!














Thanks Karlskirche....











Here we are in the Naschmarkt. This is...let's say it's the Portobello Road of Vienna.



And to say 'gute Nacht' here is Schonbrunn Palace!
Good night, Vienna! And thanks for the trip...