Monday, May 24, 2010

Budapest: Take Two



I am a bit confused, but, I think this WAS the 'Postal Savings Bank' and now it's the Hungarian National Treasury....I just thought the architecture was interesting....




The other side....it almost reminds of Gaudi's work in Barcelona....anyway, just interesting...




I've accepted that I don't have what most people would consider 'taste' BUT....
I REALLY liked this door, so there!



I didn't know who he was, I just thought the 'sculpture', aka 'imprint' was awesome! How creative!




But just in case you want to know...
Endre Kálmán Bajcsy-Zsilinszky (Szarvas, June 6, 1886. – Sopronköhida, December 24, 1944, was an influential Hungarian politician of Slovak ethnicity, and an important voice in the struggle against German expansion and military policy. The Nazis executed him...






This was on the outside wall of a church...it says '1914-1918'...I just thought that was quite 'dramatic'....I kind of like it in a way...






Then I went to the National Museum of Hungary. I saw everything from Hungary's Celtic and Roman pasts; to the arrival of the Huns and other nomadic groups that later made up the modern Hungarian population.
Interesting, but I thought it lame that you had to pay to take pix!
Another thought, see those two girls who are sitting on the 'overhang'? I passed by and they just broke out in Hungarian 'blahblah-ing' at me and then I let them know 'me no speak Hungarian' and then they asked in English if I'd take a pic of them with their camera. POINT IS, I think my 'dark' features 'played well' in Hungary...I think I fit in there...several people just spoke to me like I was Hungarian....(why else wouldn't they, right? Maybe I am reading too much into this...)
So there is a chain of stores that sell soap, deodorant, etc., that is called 'dm'. This company is in Berlin, Vienna and I guess Budapest. I saw this ad in Vienna and always wanted to take a pic, but never had my camera....
So, here we go....ok....girls are pretty when they put aloe vera branches on each other....got it....

BUT WHAT IS THIS?!! WHAT IS SHE DOING?! AND HOW IS THIS BEAUTIFUL?!
It honestly looks like she went crazy and is like 'ahhh...heee...hhahaaa...'
Anyway, if anyone has an explanation, I am all ears...


Here is the restaurant I went into....I think I finally understand and now can no longer judge Americans who go to McDonald's....I DETEST McDonald's (except their breakfast sandwiches, LOVE THEM!) and I hate it that Americans, etc., will travel half-way around the world and then just go to McD's, well....I almost did it and why? CUZ I COULDN'T READ THE MENU'S or ADS!!! Luckily I was able to eat some Hungarian food and it's true - they LOVE paprika!! :)



I asked one guy what is 'Hungarian' and he said 'Hungarian fish soup'. So here is my Hungarian fish soup. The 'fish' was carp...I'm not used to eating carp and even when I eat carp (Southern cooking) I can taste the 'dirty' 'bottom-dweller' taste that the fish has, and this was the same way, BUT...it was over all good....I liked the Hungarian fish soup ;)







Here is an introduction to Hungarian money. It is called the Forint - probably means something, but I don't know...
Hungarians now and historically really tend to be...'dark' people...dark eyes, dark hair....dark...and I think the historical people on the money show this....






I walked past this...kept on walking and then was 'shocked' when I realized it was a dummy LOL! I thought it was a real person from the 'corner of my eye'....










This is 'Freedom Bridge' that we're going to cross over....
The Nazis destroyed all the bridges over the Danube in Budapest...this one was rebuilt as well...


Friends of mine went to Cologne and on one of the bridges there, people who are in love take locks and lock the lock onto the bridge so that their love will last....
Here are a few who've brought the tradition over...








'weirdo-angel' panorama shot, but it does the job...

We have now walked along the left bank of the Danube and we're crossing over the Erzsebet (Elisabeth) bridge.



It was destroyed in the war and rebuilt as well....









On the right bank of the Danube I found what I am thinking means 'Kissing Zone'....alas...I was alone :(






This statue is famous and is called 'Little Princess' (looks more like Prince to me, but oh well..) I don't know if this is from a book...or just a character....






RARR! Did that scare you? ;)









So I was walking around waiting for them to turn on the night-lights and then suddenly!
The Parliament all lit up! (Disappointing if you ask me...it could look like Westminster...hmmm....)



There is a Buda Castle - much more impressive! (But it's funny...during the day, the Parliament looks more impressive, but then at night the Castle does...hmmm....) Buda Castle (Hungarian: Budai Vár, Turkish: Budin Kalesi) is the historical castle complex of the Hungarian kings in Budapest, Hungary, first completed in 1265. In the past, it was also called Royal Palace and Royal Castle (Hungarian: Királyi Vár).

Panorma from the bridge where I stayed...que bello!



Gute Nacht, Parliament....










Gute Nacht, you beautiful Buda Castle you....








Tomorrow I leave for Vienna, but Budapest...you've SO impressed me! I think you are a true gem!
See you in 2 weeks!
Gute Nacht Budapest....