Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Chinese National Circus....in Vienna! :)



So folks tonight we're going to attend a show from the "National Circus of China - Tao" (I am guessing they have MANY other 'national circuses' in China and this is the 'Tao' grouping or something like that) in the Stadthalle of Vienna (modern show/spectacular arena/theater-place)...



And the audience awaits...

I am actually excited to see it...should be a good 'acrobatic' show....methinks...







I realize that these blog posts must be VERY boring since you can't take any photos during the performance :( Here is their poster. It was interesting cuz the whole thing had the background of teaching everyone about 'Taoism', but then the acts/skits themselves seemed to have nothing to do with that....hmm...strange.....

The flexibility and strength of the performers is AMAZING! They did some really cool tricks (bending over backwards (like the girl in the 'to the right' in the poster) and then building pyramids with their bodies, etc....quite impressive!


Here's the audience during the interval....the picture doesn't show it, but the color was much more of a 'red' in there, rather than an orange....

Red, eh? Hmm...am I being psychologically/mentally controlled by the color scheme? :)





Hallway....I just thought I'd show you around, so you can see it 'design-wise', etc.






It all seemed...early 80's...the construction, colors, etc...

Well, I honestly liked the show! They had guys juggling huge 'Ming' vases and then balancing them on their heads; a woman balancing 'ballet-tippy-toes' on a guys head!; a fat guy that was the 'comedic relief'; VERY good overall!


I thought this was interesting...it's a plaque outside that says this was dedicated to the youth of Vienna after the 'hard' war times and that it's dedicated to the arts, etc. (built-ish 1954-1958)

Interesting how after a war one of the first things you'd want to do is build an arts complex....reminds me of Brigham Young when they arrived in Salt Lake Valley. BEFORE a temple, etc., apparently he made sure a theater was built, LOL!