Monday, August 9, 2010

Goodbye St. Petersburg, but first, off to Peterhof!





So here we go....our day started out with the company saying 'no, we will go at 10:40' we were like 'but it's printed 10:00 on your broschure!' 'No one is up at this time...' BUT WE ARE!



Anyway...we're going to take a hydrofoil across the 'gulf' over to Peterhof - Peter the Great's 'Versailles'...



I thought it was funny...there really did seem to be a 'lane' in the middle of the sea where everyone was supposed to sail....never thought of that before....












There in the background you can see the pier where we're headed and then Peterhof palace on the right....not the left...












Those are the types of boat we came over on...nevermind that they spit oil-smoke all over the place and you sit in it....umm...we got here right? :)










AHHH!! You are SO beautiful Peterhof!!



This is 'Samson's Canal'...










You are getting even more beautiful! Thanks Heavenly Father for the wonderful weather!











We had to pay just to get into this part (the Park), but....it definitely looks better than Sanssouci near Berlin....



Well-kept and beautiful...






AHHH!



No words....this 'Cascade' alone made this the most beautiful palace grounds I've ever seen (including Versailles, Buckingham, Sanssouci....)



Long live Peterhof!




This is Samson....



after Daddeeo read that it was 'Samson' it hit me....where's his hair? LOL!



They should've named it David...David killed a lion as well....











Magnifico!











One more look....



Before we go into the Palace...



BOO! No pix allowed!






I figured it would be ok to get a pic over the Cascade....what a view with your breakfast, eh? WOW!









Now we'll head to the Gardens....












But first, one more look LOL!











Here is the Pyramid fountain....I thought that was interesting....










Here is the 'Sun' fountain....


Suns, pyramids...did anyone see 'Zeitgeist' the movie? Hmm...








Lovely view....that's St. Petersburg in the distance...









This was a 'trick' seat they built back in the day....you'd let people sit down and then suddenly you'd open a spigot and then water would fall all over your guest...heeheehahaha....






Gardens down by the Beach house...












I forget the name of this....it was like 'Lion Falls' or something like that....










From the front....










Two Russians sailors....just thought it was interesting that they were walking around dressed up like that....why wouldn't they, right? Just thought it was 'funny'...







Here is the 'Marly'....


Disappointing for such a big pond.....










This is another Cascade....nice enough....I like the 'Grand Cascade' MUCH better....









Here is the 'Hermitage Pavillion'...aka 'Guest house'.....complete with moat! I honestly thought it was a prison at first...


'Welcome to my home...now STAY there! You can't leave! I'll return in a few weeks...' LOL!




SPASEEBA Peterhof! You were WUNDERBAR and then some!


Thanks Heavenly Father for the great weather! Some sun to get great pix and then shadow to walk around in and not get burnt! ;)



On our MAD-DASH to get back to our hotel to grab our cab to the airport we passed by a souvenir market....I told Daddeeo he had 5 minutes just to walk through, i.e. NO TIME, as he walked off I realized I'd just given crack to a baby!


But look at his smile...he's SO happy :)



I chose, as often happened while 'souvenir-shopping' was going on, to find something of historical/architectural importance/beauty and sit and stare it....


It really is a nice church isn't it?


But the time arrived (after 10 minutes) to grab Herr Shopper and get us out of there!


Our cab grabbed us and got us to the airport in time! WHOOSH! Thanks St. Pete! You were WONDERFUL and then some!