Sunday, August 8, 2010

St. Petersburg #1


So we barely made our train, but thankfully it was cool....outside was warm and Russia has been going through a heat wave....



Here is what the landscape, more or less, looked like between Moscow and St. Petersburg....not many hills or mountains around this place....




Here is our train. We arrived to some very 'patriotic' sounding music! I don't know if it was the 'St. Petersburg' anthem or what...but I kind of liked it...it was a fun way to be welcomed....kind of wish other cities did that....









Inside of the 'Moscow' train station (in St. Petersburg)....













Just in case there are any douts, Peter the Great is THE man here in 'Pieter' as locals call it....











The ceiling above the waiting room....'come comrades, let's change the world!' I respect them for at least trying...everyone else just complains about everything and don't try....






The 'Moscow' train station in St. Petersburg....










Nevsky Prospect, aka MAIN STREET, St. Petersburg....all the rich and famous back in the day lived on this street and now...so are we.....








in a poor white trash kind of a way ;) LOL! So...our hotel didn't even have a sign outside...we wandered and wandered trying to find it....


Then...our hotel's reception is through that big arch on the lower-right hand corner, but we actually stayed in a refurbished apartment through the alley in the lower-left hand corner LOL! Which made for coming home late at night quite interesting LOL! And even though the stairwell stank like crazee, our room was actually nice and newly renovated...so....all in all....decent....



SO FUNNY! That actually says MacDonalds....LOL....









One of the local 'palaces' along Nevsky Street....quite the to-do eh? I just don't know if pink is my favorite color for that ;)








Am I in Venice?! Am in a Viennese Venice? YES, and it's called St. Petersburg! WOW!









Palace of Catherine the Great's husband, Paul, who was later murdered....hmm...









This is a memorial to those who died in the October Revolution in St. Petersburg...I mean Petrograd...I mean Leningrad....YARGH, St. Petersburg has had TOO MANY names!!







Local cathedral that they built in a classic Russian style....


Sorry...it was getting dark and my camera takes VERY dark photos already....






Close-up of side....

We had Italian cuz it was already 10pm or so and everywhere was closing down....THANK YOU ITALIANS for being more night owls than the average European!!










We saw this sign and thought the name of the ballet company was interesting LOL!














NEVSKY PROSPECT at night! I take that back...the people of St. Petersburg were definitely out on the town at night! I really liked this town! Lot o' energy!