
So I arrived safe and sound in South Africa!
Here are my friends Catherine and Carmen ready to take me to 'the Midlands' and up Sani Pass to Lesotho. And away we go!

There is a view of Pietermaritzburg from the highway - this photo is for you Vivien! :)

We arrived in Underberg and sat and watched the sunset at a 'manorhouse'...
Off in the distance those are the mountains we'll head off to tomorrow....

This is the Sani Pass...it's an old trade route between the independent kingdom of Lesotho and South Africa...

Here we are looking down Sani Pass...

"Let me in!"

This is the view of the pass from 'the highest pub in Africa'...
Whenever I looked on a map I wondered why Lesotho was its own country and not part of South Africa (it's landlocked and surrounded), but now I know why...it is such a barren, wasteland...it's crazy the difference between SA and here....SA you can grow SO much, Lesotho almost nothing grows...
This local guy was playing this instrument and I made a video of it...he then told me he wanted 5 Rand (SA money)...I didn't realize I was his audience...oh well...

This lady let us into her home and let us try her bread. Carmen and Catherine were so cute, they played with the kids the whole time...it was so fun to watch...

and yes, that's why it's so 'barren' and waterless.... 9400 FEET!! WOWZUHS!

Camera hog!
So when we got back to Durban, Catherine took me to a place called uShaka - a Sea World-type park.
I REALLY do NOT want to meet that guy out in the ocean...





