Saturday, October 30, 2010

Zimbabwe - Victoria Falls and Hotel...





So, now that I have bronchitis/pneumonia (I brought the wet, cold weather to Durban) I am off to fetch my dad in Johannesburg and then we'll be off to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe! (Where it's 100 degrees...so hopefully my lungs will dry out there...)



So interesting how that saying is everywhere now! :)





And here you are folks, Zimbabwe! Defunct land of the evil Mugabe...but I digress :)



I was SO happy how DRY and HOT it was....maybe that is what my lungs are made for (the doctor says I have asthma and gave me a nebulizer - who gets diagnosed with asthma in their 30's?!!)




My dad with the 'lawnmowers' at our hotel in Victoria Falls...
















Off in the distance is the bridge between Zambia and Zimbabwe....and we might just be crazy and jump off of it...ya never know... :)










So we set off for the 'star of the show', one of the Natural Wonders of the World....VICTORIA FALLS!!










But first a tribute to Livingstone.....





















HOW BEAUTIFUL!














Here is the Devil's Cataract....




















How beautiful...and can you believe, this is the 'dry' season? Apparently the wet season would be 5 times as much water...



What's funny is the falls are actually on the Zambian side of the border...so the Zambians 'own' the Falls...but you can't see them from their side, you can really only see them from the Zimbabwean side....I just find that concept funny....someone 'possessing' something, but they can't really enjoy it....but others who don't 'own' it, can....



So off in the distance where those people are standing that is the Devil's Pool (what's with the Devil around here?...anyway). There is a 'cleft' in the rock by the edge of that one waterfall, so you can literally go down in it and sit and 'swim' (it's more like a big jacuzzi and you sit in it)....every year at least one person dies from getting sucked over the edge....hmm...



These are Horseshoe and Angel Falls...during the wet season they would be all overflowing....










Enchanting...









There is the Zambezi river bridge (Zambezi river being below)....


Foreshadowing, Foreshadowing, Foreshadowing...






Such a beautiful place!











Our hotel...total Colonial, no?










But very nice.....











And the mosquito nets! I was SO worried about Malaria, but I was told the pills are worse than getting Malaria....


But I did these nets wrong, as we learned the next night when the 'turn down' service lady came and did it correctly ;)