Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Melk makes me think of milk....


And now we're back in Melk with its famous monastery...

Again, I'll just let you Google Melk monastery if you want the details...my blog posts tend to be/look like Wikipedia entries ;)





This is SO TRUE!! A little sign by a bakery...





"Nights, when the people rest, the baker does his work.." (it rhymes in German :)

I remember going to sleep at 7pm, to wake up at 1am, to go to work at 2am....UGH!.....





The inner courtyard of the monastery...









It's so funny what you can learn about people when you hang out with them...for example, I never knew my dad loved doors so much (learned that in Russia with him)....





So, this door is for him! :)





Purdy....














Outside facing the Danube...













Danube in the back-background...











Duh Library!

They have a saying here that says 'Libraries are the meeting place of the dreams of humanity.'

I just liked that....


I think it's so strange....I LOVE libraries! I LOVE learning! I enjoy reading....but I am not a 'reader'...odd, no?















Cool....











WOW! .......WOW!!









Nice, nice....
















SO impressive!












Love it!










Gold, gold, gold....












So here and in Vienna they have these 'Catacomb' Saints that are supposedly early Christian saints from the Catacombs in Rome....ummm....more than likely it was someone they just found in the nearby's, but still....odd cuz this guy is just 'luxuriating' and has jewels all over his ribs....oh well...different ways....








SO impressed with this church!










BAM!








Love this! Look how the Danube and forest are 'framed'.....why do I find 'structured Nature' so much more beautiful than crazy/wild nature? Hmm....






Thanks monastery! I enjoyed visiting you....now I'll take my friends and we'll go visit the gardens....








Cafe, complete with classical music...












Landscape of what the area looks like....








Again....love the 'structured Nature'....geometry....loverly....









Outlook from the top of the gardens....










I don't know what this plant was....but it was a leaf that smelled like lemons....just imagine walking through it....a true treat!












love it!










Downtown Melk....can't get away from that monastery...seems to be THE thing in town...








I just liked this....it says: "When Mom and Dad say 'no', I ask Grandma and Grandpa"




Hahaha....








Majestique!




















Getting closer to our meeting point for the boat ride...










Woot-woot! There she be....are you guys ready? Want to go on a boat ride down the Danube?