Thursday, November 26, 2009

HAPPY GIVING of THANKS DAY, Colombia-style!!



FELIZ DIA de GRACIAS all of you ´mericans out there!

For Thanksgiving today I went to the little Colombian restaurant around the corner. I am REALLY happy that it is there! It is SO fun to eat all of these foods that I haven´t eaten in over 12 years! Can it really be 12 years? Ay caramba, how times flies!

So the owners are from a town called Pereira. It wasn´t in the mission I was in, but I did meet people from there and they treat me well...


Here is a painting on the wall of a ´typical village in Antioquia (a state in Colombia). The people from there are called ´Paisas. Why? I don´t know :)

Colombia....what a land! It really is a beautiful and varied country....too bad it´s also one of the most violent in the world and all to supply the US and Europe with the drugs they want....oh wait, this is Thanksgiving, ok, no preaching LOL!






In Colombia people have ´pesebres´or Nativity scenes. In Colombia they go ALL OUT and make them HUGE! This one is nice and pretty, but they get honestly HUGE AND HUGE AND HUGE in Colombia! They show scenes from life, etc., and then there are the Three Wisemen who arrive at the pesebre on Jan. 6....until then, the lights, etc. are for everyone to enjoy :)




And here is my Thanksgiving lunch called Bandeja Paisa! Platano (Plantain, a potato-like banana); beef; aguacate (avocado); frijoles (beans); chorizos (sausages); huevo (egg); my Manzana (apple) pop; and the Colombian arepa (almost a tortilla, but fatter).

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ONE AND ALL! And believe or not, they´ve done studies that have proven that people who are thankful lead happier lives!

SO BE HAPPY, BE GRATEFUL!!