Saturday, November 21, 2009

Torremolinos - more than just a beach!




So I think I might have given you the impression that I live on the beach...well, I´ll have you know that Torremolinos was here well before the tourists arrived! It was a small fishing village and still the ´down´town´is tiny, but it is kyoot and it is my Tower of the Mills!

Here is the main ´drag´...as you can see American imperialism is alive and well with the putting up of the Christmas tree and accessories (I know that the Christmas tree comes from Germany... ;)


Here is a statue of the local tradition of Flamenco. I LOVE FLAMENCO! The guitar; the singing....tis wunderbar, so it is! When they sing, especially if it is a guy, you can totally hear the Árabic´influence in the music....
It is great having Spanish TV because they put on Flamenco ´concerts´ - still need to go to a Flamenco show for real....stay tuned...


I really like our fountains in Torremolinos, especially at night when they are all lit up - very purdy!





This one doesn´t look like much, but it is especially pretty at night....




This is San Miguel, pretty much óld´Torremolinos. Now it´s the main shopping fare that everyone walks down. It was so funny when I first got here. I forgot about the Spanish siesta! I went back to get some stuff and I was like ´that and that and that store were all open just one hour ago - WHAT HAPPENED?!!´ Then it came to my mind, óh...siesta time´ LOL....



In the Plaza of the European Union they have built this statue of a bull and Europa. You can read the story below...naughty, naughty Zeus...I guess Greek gods weren´t being you respected, but more like you feared or begged favors from....








The EU Plaza looking over to San Miguel Street....













And then there is the Church of San Miguel.....they´ve got their Christmas star out as well :)




And this is going to be very ´don´t believe it´, BUT, Wikipedia says that this is the Arab tower where the area TORRE = TOWER, MOLINOS got its name. I don´t know if this is true....if the tower has been rebuilt (looks like it, doesn´t it?), but I believe it! All along the coastline there are these old towers (one of the next towns is called Torrequebrada (Broken Tower), and so it makes sense....
Cool eh? I wonder if it was Arab though....this whole area stayed Arab up until the end of the reconquista (reconquering by Ferdinand and Isabella) of Spain....





We´re back on the main shopping street of San Miguel and its Christmas decor....










Here is a ´crossroads´where people, i.e. me, love to sit at the cafes and watch people walk by...it truly is fascinating! (I´m not just trying to be Éuropean´and enjoy it....so interesting the types of people that walk by, who they are, what they are doing, etc.)







And then to end our tour of Torremolinos, hot chocolate and churros! Warning: Spanish churros are good, but they are not like Mexican churros! The hot chocolate was WONDERFUL, don´t you agree? LOL!
Ok folks, that is Torremolinos. I hope you enjoyed seeing where I live. Take care and catch you in further blog posts....