Friday, November 13, 2009

I´m a refugee and I´m ok! I sleep all night and I work all day!


so, someone pointed out the irony of my PhD research (refugees) and that the fact that I am a refugee of sorts (not really, because I have options, but...)

So anyway, I would like to thank Spain for being kind and taking me in. I have to admit with sunshine and temperatures in the 70´s it is hard to feel too bad about things LOL

This is the view from my balcony. I live in Torremolinos, a part of the city of Malaga...




Umm...I can´t believe it! How beautiful! That is the Middle of the Earth sea...how beautiful it is!












Here is my room...yes, it is a bunk bed, it is like I am 10-years old again! LOL!














Here is my mini-kitchen. The place comes with bathroom, washing machine that shocks you if the floor is wet (that was an interesting experience :), a few cockroaches LOL and a non-working fridge (which will be taken care of in a few days)...in many ways it reminds me of South America ;)

What REALLY reminded me of Colombia was finding a Colombian restaurant around the corner...it was amazing to eat Colombian food after 14 years! What memories!








See Mom, no matter how far I am, you are always near... :)












So this was my first day at the beach....












Beautiful beach, but FREEZING WATER! Luckily it kind of feels like Chena Lakes in the summer LOL!

It always kills me at how surprised I am at how salty salt water is...having grown up with lakes or pools, the salt water thing is a new experience every time!






Hello Mediterranean...you are FREEZING!















Here are some interesting rock formations...no idea what they are...where is a geologist when you need one?!!















As I walked along the beach trying to dry off, I saw these gulls...and there were more than this picture shows...has anyone seen ´The Birds´? LOL!!










The waves came in and the floods came up...












This is another tourist town down the way called Benalmadena....if you just walk the beach it just goes on and on forever....

Lots of businesses are closed, for what seems like winter (hopefully not more)....

So yes, I live in a tourist area during OFF-season! Except the place is full of old English people! :)






Beautiful....













Back to good ol´Torremolinos....night-night....

So just to let you all know that I am safe and sound...stay tuned for further adventures...