Saturday, January 30, 2010

Granada - the City


And so picking up where we left off, the entrance/exit gate to the Alhambra.



Hope you all enjoyed la Alhambra because I did!









Downtown Granada...everyone was here apparently, even the Greeks established a settlement here! Romans, Visigoths, Muslims and now the Spaniards....Granada has seen a lot in its time!




This is the Royal High Court....by this time it was starting to be around 3pm or so...Gudrun and I hadn't eaten and were starting to feel it....so we decided to go see the Cathedral and Royal Chapel and then eat...which essentially ended our day (due to having to catch the bus back to Malaga, etc.)




Street in Granada....















Statue of Isabella...










Nice old buildings....













Street we'll be walking down to get to the Cathedral...










I thought the street lamps were just a little this side of COOL!












I don't know if I like the design (I think I do), but they get extra points just for doing something out of the ordinary! Go Granada!













We find our way into the Cathedral...it was also built on a mosque and construction began in 1518 and lasted....181 YEARS! AHHH!












Beautiful sight....beautiful organs...














The detail....the gold....that's ok, but not as impressive as the Muslim art/designs....













This is what I love about it....the IMMENSITY of it all! Whoa!













The columns.....all so impressive....














SHAZAAM!













The Cathedral was supposed to become the royal crypt....maybe that is why it was so huge! (But instead Charles I and onwards were all buried outside of Madrid...)










Another tablet like in Cordoba, for the priests, etc. who were killed during the Spanish Republic and Civil war era....











Wowow.....












More names of the 'martyred' on the other side....no wonder Franco won! Stupid anarchists!














WOW!










Purdy.....and impressive....











What an entrance door, eh?















Another altar...









LOVE EET!















This is right next door and it's called La Capilla Real (the Royal Chapel). It's where Ferdinand and Isabella were later buried.
LAME-O, though! You couldn't take pictures! There are these very intricate, white marble pieces over where their bodies are. It's odd, because their bodies are in simple lead (I think) coffins underneath....


Now we enter the old business district of Granada...

The requisite Flamenco-type fabrics in the store windows!









'Baubles, bangles, hear how they jing-jing-a-ling, oh baubles, bangles, bright shiny beads...'







Cool alleys, eh?












Outside facade of the Cathedral...













Entrance to Archbishop's Palace outside the Cathedral...Malaga's was also painted pink....











IMPRESSIVE!














NICE!










Here's the other side of the Archbishop's Palace....









I thought the 'detail' on their lamp posts was amazing, albeit a bit terrifying :)








Plaza in Granada....surrounded by cafes....this would definitely be even better in summer!











Peek-a-boo!










More 'street' shots of Granada....impressive buildings me opinions...







Classic little church....I include it just because I thought it looked nice.
Gudrun wanted Chinese food, so we walked and walked and walked until finally we found a Chinese restaurant! (I couldn't believe it! Usually they are all over the place!)



Well, we had to stop (we didn't get to see the Gypsy area or the Arab neighborhood) with the sun going down it got cold and we had to catch our 2-hour bus trip back to Granada.
So I hope you enjoyed seeing the world-famous Alhambra and Granada, because I know I did!