Monday, January 11, 2010

I test the rains down in Africa....Morocco that is :-)




So here we are the Meyer´s and I heading south this time....



This is Tarifa, Spain...on the bus they told us it was the southern-most point of Europe...well at least it´s the most southern point of Spain!



A fortress....these shores have been invaded and invaded and invaded again (German tribes, Romans, Phoenicians, etc...)....






Another tower in Tarifa on the harbor....




























This reindeer was waiting for at the Customs area :) I just thought it was hilarious-looking!






























Here is our ferry....on your marks, get set, SAIL!




















Tres comfortable, eh? I was impressed with the seating....


















You know you are on a Moroccan ship when there is a mosque on board!! Complete with prayer rugs....





























Goodbye Spain! I´ll see you soon, again!


















And there is...AFRICA! :) First time, first time....



That is the Moroccan coast and the city of Tangiers.










I was a bit excited to go see Tangiers, because it seems like James Bond types were always hanging out in Tangiers during the Cold War...or maybe that was just a James Bond movie LOL! Oh nevermind....



Tangiers is a city of northern Morocco with a population of about 700,000 (2008 census).






The history of Tangier is very rich due to the historical presence of many civilizations and cultures starting from the 5th century BC. Between the period of being a Phoenician town to the independence era around the 1950s, Tangier was a place —and, sometimes a refuge— for many cultural diversities. However, it wasn't until 1923 that Tangier was attributed an international status by foreign colonial powers, thus becoming a destination for many Europeans and non-Europeans alike such as Americans and Indians.







There it be....seems to be all built on a hill, HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY!! that we got on to a bus! Me no likey hiking up mountains....










This was a first! I had never seen an OiLibya station before! Given Gaddafi´s (I remember in the 80´s no one knew how to spell his name...this is the way Wikipedia spells it) non-love for Israel, I just thought it was funny when I looked at the sign again....it looks like


Oi Libya! as in Oi vei! hahahaaha!






This is a view of the city as we were climbing one of the hills to a national park on top....













They said that in 1905-ish an American bought pretty much the top of this hill and had his mansion, etc. up here. I have to admit, it was beautiful up there! Look at those trees....pretty....












There she be! There is Tangiers below....












This experience was different...now I know what people mean when they say óh, the trip was SO touristy!´ They stopped us up on the hill to let people get a camel ride....hmm....I went to look at the views....(plus I am hoping to someday go to Cairo and I hear they do that there as well - so I´ll wait....)















´Watch out, they spit!´ :)














Then they took us to a viewpoint where we could see the southern coast of Spain. Me loves me views!












Street in Morocco....
















Our tour guide told us they have nice doors here...this is a door in the Óld City´....


















Another place to view the Mediterranean...Morocco on the right and Spain on the left.....












And in that direction is supposedly the Atlantic!











Here comes the Touristy, and I of course took pix just like everyone else! :)


The snake charmer....don´t know if this is part of native culture here in Morocco, but, maybe it is....


I watched a documentary about how poorly snakes that snake charmers keep are treated and how they often are sick....I felt sorry for the snake, but then I, as everyone else left my scruples at the door and camera´d away....




This is an archaeological museum now, but back in the day was Tangier´s Muslim leader´s palace.



















This is the tower of the oldest mosque in the city - 1282 or so....


This is the the old ´fortress´part of the city the Kasba....















Our tour guide brought us to a Moroccan restaurant. And the band played on....for the tourists :)










Inside of our restaurant. We had chicken with cous-cous, a soup that smelled WONDERFUL, but tasted like nothing :) and then a strange, fried, cookie with honey....


All in all, twas good....















Old City street....


In a way it was good that we were in a group with local guides, it was a protection of sorts, but then also not so good was not being able to interact with locals....ya know? We were escorted everywhere we went....so yes, we were there, but then we weren´t there....if that makes sense....





This is where I began to get irritated. I turned to some Germans and asked them how were they enjoying our ´imprisoned shopping´experience....


Our tour guides had it all set up...they escorted us to take a ride on camels, see the snake charmers, and and and....now we arrived at a carpet and crafts store....we were given presentations about the carpets and and and...all with the goal in mind of trying to get us to BUY, BUY, BUY! It got on my nerves, but I did REALLY like this one up on the wall....what think ye?








And then of course we were told that ´haggling is fun!´ :) I hate haggling....but I wasn´t buying anything so all was well....













And then we were guided to floor after floor after floor of merchandise...again, with the purpose in mind that we´d buy them out.....hmm....
















THEN we were escorted to an herbal pharmacy....hmm....this is where I had left angry and was entering FED UP land.....but then something said in my head ´just enjoy it!´ So I did :)


We smelled tons of herbs, lotions, etc. and then the ladies bought and bought and bought....and then we got to leave....





As we walked through the Old City we were ATTACKED left and right by people wanting to sell all sorts of craft things....I just laughed and laughed and laughed the whole time...it was hilarious to watch!


I saw this sign up....what I would give to be part of the Ínternational Jet Set´! LOL! (I think people used to say that back in the 60´s and 70´s....but now?)










AHH! there is our ferry to take us back to Spain! But I have to admit I was disappointed....I thought we would see more of the city.....


In the end my vote is....this was an experience. If left on my own I would have visited the churches, mosques and city....BUT, this experience showed me a side that I wouldn´t really have experienced, the ´shopping´side of things....so in the end it was cool to experience that as well...ya dig?



While we were waiting in the boat this other ship opened its ´mouth´and tried to eat us....


After they saw this boat, the Meyer´s started to tell me how such a ship had sunk in the Baltic sea a few years back and and and....of course I was said out loud ´CAN WE TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE OTHER THAN FERRIES SINKING?!! SINCE WE´RE ON ONE??!!!´ :) They didn´t understand my concern? LOL!





Oh Spain, here we come! The white is the city of Tarifa in the background....












Tarifa!














AHH! The harbor! Spain at last! Oh Spain at last!


So, like I said, going to Tangiers in a tour group gave me experiences that I wouldn´t have had had I gone on my own, so I am pleased with that, but I would also NEVER do it again! so....I guess that is that....