Friday, November 12, 2010

Cape Town - Stellenbosch and Franschhoek



So we're off to wine country! YUMMEE! I mean...what an educational opportunity....

Beautiful mountains....beautiful vineyards....beautiful land....




This is the old Dutch Church in a town called Stellenbosch. It's known as a university town where the undergrad courses are still given in Afrikaans.








We drove to Franschhoek (French corner) where French Huguenots settled in 1688 and brought their wine-making skillz with them....


And....made it beautiful! ;)



Tres magnifique!



We then decided to have lunch at Boschendal, a vineyard/homestead founded in 1685 (controversy around the date) and pretty much one of the most beautiful places I've ever been...I emphasize EVER!






Am I in Paris?











The gardens were so French, so beautiful....








Hi Mom! These roses are for you! ;)


I was so happy...these roses actually smelled like roses...don't know if anyone's noticed, but apparently they've 'bred' the smell out of many rose varieties...





Am in Tahiti?











Strike a pose, there's nothing to it...is that the best you've got, Aaron?!









Herb garden below...mountains above....











Magnificence framed!










:) Could it get any better?....did I ever mention that I wanted to have a vineyard when I was a teenager?....hmm....









Picturesque....










Au revoir, Boschendal...I love you...










Back to Franschhoek after our lunch in Boschendal...


Built in 1847(?)....'this is the place!'...just on the other side of the world! ;)




Lookin' good....










City hall....or Maison d' Ville? I don't know...I don't speak French, but me likey bery much....


Merci Beaucoups Stellenbosch, Boschendal and Franschhoek! You are WONDERFUL!