Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tembe Elephant Park, South Africa


So Catt's dad runs a lodge near the Mozambique border called Tembe Elephant Park (after the Tembe tribe who owns the land)....



THANKS ERNEST for letting us stay at the lodge! THANK YOU!









Meeting the local residents on one of our game drives ;)



It was interesting to learn that many of these elephants (like those in Chobe) are 'refugees'...they fled the civil wars in Mozambique and have now found a home here in Tembe....


These two elephants reminded me of my brother and I...just 'play fighting' and going at it....hilarious to watch....and so apropos...the younger one kept on 'egging' the bigger one on, the bigger one would then smack the little one...the little one would stop for a minute or two and then after his 'rest' would come back for more....SO big brother/little brother LOL!




SO COOL! We saw some lions on our last night! (again, this pic shows it a WHOLE lot lighter than it actually was...)









These giraffes are so funny....they just sit and look at the van waiting to see what we'll do....



I think they're cool animals....and I think the skin is pretty....







I don't know why, probably cuz I had rarely seen any up close, but the animal I REALLY enjoyed seeing were the zebras....



Strange maybe, but I just really liked seeing them....





The Phfriends after having some Phun :)













Rhino....











And then our first night we were treated to some 'Tonga' dancing (a local tribe)....



Coolness....a lot of kicking up in these dances...








As can be seen here....I'm actually quite impressed with Catherine's efforts...



So, thanks again to the Robbertse family for letting us stay at the lodge! The grounds and accommodation were clean, the people were VERY nice and I can recommend Tembe lodge 2 u all!