Friday, November 12, 2010

Durban, South Africa - Market and uShaka Park





So Catt took us to the Victoria Street market. It was a fun place...alive with people, etc. If you can't tell, Durban has A LOT of Indian-descended people....SO there is A LOT of Indian culture, foods...










and spice markets....



I love these, the smells are always nice and enjoyable...but I've heard you shouldn't buy spices this way cuz it's not the most hygenic of methods....







HAHA! I thought this was interesting...I wonder if it would work....hmm....














Dressing the girls up again....
















and me - YIKES! White man looking stupid in African apparel! ;)



Oh well...you'll see...I got one in the end....

















Durban City Hall...based on Belfast's City Hall...










THE BEACH!! Durban is quite famous for its beaches due to the fact that you can go swimming in the warm Indian ocean here ANY time of year....









The Pier....











A restaurant that they built to look like a junk'ed boat...

Twas cool - they have a HUGE aquarium that you sit by as you eat your dinner - sharks included ;)




So we entered uShaka marine park. It has water rides, pools, snorkeling and animal shows....


First, we went to experience the crazy and whacky world of....penguins...


Kevin was bored out of his mind :)



It was interesting though. They are endangered and it was during their feeding time. Interesting to learn about them and see them all line up for their fish...such an 'orderly' bunch...







Here we are at Seal island...they made a 'pirate' show for 5-year olds, complete with jokes and funny times for 5-year olds...in other words, I loved it and was laughing the whole time! :)







Here is the pirate talking to his 'mate' about the trayzhure map ;)










So fun seeing all the school kids coming to the park for the shows....


We're now in the dolphin show auditorium....


This was a bit more 'strange'....they had Shaka Zulu with a CRAZY/SCARY voice talking about how sad he was when his mom died and how the dolphins helped him find joy again, etc....hmm....




jumpity-jump-jump....










Duh Phriends!










Looking out towards the beach and waterfront...


This is the part where we went swimming, down water slides, etc. One of the coolest things I've EVER done in my life was snorkeling in a big tank they've got...it was like 'living TV'...seeing all those fish, fish swimming around me, seeing sharks down below....everything was SO COOL to experience! Truly one of the coolest things ever (we got it free cuz the 'Lazy River' ride was closed :)



AMEN! (love the sayings)


(So yes, I'm still white man trying to wear African attire, but I think this one 'works'...and if you disagree...go tell someone else! :)





CHA-CHING!!










Catt took us to this African restaurant called Moyo.


They come around and let you wash your hands with rose water....how posh!







Then they paint designs on your face....











I liked Catt's the best...











Then an African 'barbership trio' came and sang to us...WHAT A PLACE!!


I ate a local Indian dish that apparently you can only get in Durban...


PHUN TIMEZ! PHUN TIMEZ!